SAWW and SABRE joint walking programme
Please take a few moments to read these important notes.
- Non-members are welcome to attend up to three SAWW walks before joining The Ramblers.
- New walkers are strongly advised to start with a short, easy walk.
- All walkers participate at their own risk.
- There is no need to book in advance. Just turn up.
- If, exceptionally, a walk has to be cancelled or altered, this programme will be adjusted.
- New walks are regularly added to the programme, so if a walk is not shown for a particular Saturday or Sunday, please check back nearer the time.
- You should bring protective and warm clothing (in cold and wet weather) and wear appropriate footwear.
- As a rule of thumb, assume walking speed is 2 mph to estimate how long a walk will take.
- If you are planning to get to a walk by public transport, the following web sites may be of help: www.transportdirect.info† or† www.traveline.org.uk
- Please check carefully the start location and your route to it before setting out, and plan to arrive at least 10 minutes before the departure time stated in the programme.
- Please do not walk ahead of the walk leader and let them know if you plan leave the walk early.
- Please do not consume your own food on pub premises.
- Where a pub lunch is indicated, it cannot be guaranteed that the pub will be able to accommodate us if large numbers turn up for the walk. You might wish to bring a snack just in case.
- SAWW/SABRE members may bring a single dog on most SAWW walks. However, we ask non-members not to bring dogs except for Recognised Assistance Dogs, e.g. guide dogs, hearing dogs, etc. If you would like to attend a SAWW walk with an assistance dog, we ask that you contact so that the walk leader can inform you of any likely difficulties. SAWW dog policy
- If you have a query about SAWW membership please contact . Questions about a specific walk should be addressed to .
- If you have a query about SABRE membership please contact .
Thinking of joining us on a walk for the first time?
If so, please complete the details below and we'll send you some information about our group. Thanks!
Are you a SAWW or SABRE member? If so, please use the walk programme in the members' area, as it may show additional walks and events
|Date||Start Time and Place||Details||Distance|
|Sun 1 Dec 2013||1:00pm|
Hankley Common Car Park, (up a long tarmac drive from the S-bend in the Elstead/Thursley Rd )
|THE HANKLEY COMMON RIDGES|
A walk over heath ridges with short steep hills including the Devils Jumps. Hankley Common has been used in the filming of several James Bond movies and we will see the site of the ancestral Scottish mansion featured in Skyfall. The "Wigwam Murder" took place on Hankley and it was also used as a D Day training site!
Not suitable for dogs
|Sat 7 Dec 2013||10:45am|
The Bell Public House, Outwood Nearest Postcode: RH1 5PN
Please use the National Trust car park in the village 240yds SW of the pub, or the lay-by opposite the windmill.
A pre-lunch stroll through the Harewoods estate to work up an appetite, taking in an ancient common, woodland and farmland.
After the walk, the SAWW Christmas Lunch will be held at The Bell. Sorry, but this is for pre-booked members only!
|Sat 7 Dec 2013||10:15am|
Outside Running Horses, Mickleham
Nearest Post Code:RH5 6DU
Nearest station Boxhill & West Humble
|WORK UP YOUR APPETITE|
An up and down and up and down around Mickleham Downs followed by a gentle stroll along Mole Valley before returning to the Running Horses in time for SABRE members to change into their glad rags for Christmas lunch.
with a step ascent and descent. Some muddy bits.
|Sun 8 Dec 2013||1:15pm|
The Four Horseshoes, 13-15 Burrow Hill (Off B383), Chobham, Surrey
Nearest post code: GU24 8QP
|CHOBHAM COMMON WALKABOUT: maybe one for the birds?|
Join Nigel across one of the finest examples of Lowland Heath in Europe. Chobham Common is recognised across Europe for its variety of bird life with over 100 different species having been recorded here. These include the rare dartford warbler, the hobby, the nightjar and the occasional emu subject to flight conditions
Option to join us for a drink at the pub afterwards
|Wed 11 Dec 2013||10:15am|
Shamley Green Village, please park on the green either side of the main road and meet in front of the Red Lion.
Post code: GU5 0UB (Red Lion)
|SHAMLEY GREEN TO BLACKHEATH|
From Shamley Green we head north up hill through Tanyard Farm to Reelhall Hill through Darbyns Brook and pass the multi coloured cow, no its not a pub, on to Blackheath village before returning round the edge of Sheepwalk and Sandhurst Copse.
Pub Lunch after the walk at either the Red Lion or the Bricklayers Arms
A few hills
|Sat 14 Dec 2013||9:45am|
Barns Green Recreation Ground, Muntham Drive, Barns Green.
Nearest Post Code: RH13 0PT
Please be prompt as we are taking the 10.00am bus into Horsham.
Nearest station: Horsham
|WEST SUSSEX LITERARY TRAIL - Stage 1|
The West Sussex Literary Trail is a national trail opened in 2007 which stetches 55 miles from Horsham to Chichester. For the first stage we meet at Barns Green to take the bus into Horsham town centre where the trail starts. The route winds its way through beautiful countryside with excellent views passing through Slinfold where we will lunch and finishing at Barns Green.
|10 miles approx|
Linear Walk, Some mud, One ascent
|Sun 22 Dec 2013||10:00am|
Diana Fountain Car Park, Bushey Park. Meet by the Tea Kiosk
Nearest Post Code: TW11 0EW
|BUSHEY PARK, RIVER THAMES & HAMPTON COURT|
Refreshment stop at Hampton Court
|Sat 28 Dec 2013||11:00am|
Car park off Ranmore Common Road Dorking
Nearest Post Code: RH5 6SY
This is the second car park on the left, ignore the pay & display parking at Denbies Hillside. If you are heading west then it is just before Stonyrock Lane.
|RAMBLING ON RANMORE|
What could be better than a walk around the Polesden Lacey estate on a winter's day? We head up Hogden Lane, go past Yewtree Farm and have a stop for lunch at the NT cafe. Then up Connicut Lane, through Bagden Wood and The Spains on the post-lunch section. Lovely!!
Undulating circular walk
|Sat 11 Jan 2014||10:30am|
Witley and Milford Comon car park, Webb Road, Witley, Surrey
Nearest Post Code: GU8 5QJ
|FOUR COMMONS, SOME PONDS AND A MILL|
Details to Follow
mostly flat and not too muddy
|Sun 12 Jan 2014||10:00am (morning)|
Please be prompt
Newlands Corner on A25 2 miles west of Shere.
Nearest Post Code: GU4 8SE (The Barn Cafe)
|SABRE ANNIVERSARY FIGURE OF 8 WALK|
In the morning we head north across Merrow Down in to Clandon Park returning via Old Scotland Farm and the North Downs Way.
The afternoon walk takes along the North Downs Way to the edge of the Chantries and back via St Martha's
Lunch available at either the Barn Cafe or the refreshment kiosk at Newlands Corner
|6 miles (morning)|
5 miles (afternoon)
|Sat 18 Jan 2014||WEST SUSSEX LITERARY TRAIL - Stage 2|
Details and times to follow
|Sun 26 Jan 2014||1:15pm||DISCOVER FRENSHAM PONDS|
This walk is featured in Explore Surrey Magazine full details to follow later
|Sat 8 Feb 2014||Time:TBD|
Guildford railway station.
|DOWNS LINKS (part 1)|
Details to Follow
+ Except registered assistance dogs