SAWW walking programme
Are you a SAWW member? If so, please use the walk programme in the members' area, as it may show additional walks and events
|Date||Start Time and Place||Details||Distance|
|Fri 3 Apr 2015||10:00am|
Bopeep car park, end of Bopeep Lane
Nearest Post Code: BN26 6UJ
Heading from Lewes towards Eastbourne on the A27, pass through Selmeston village. 250 yards after the Village Store petrol station, turn right at crossroads, signed "By-Way", into Bopeep Lane. Follow this road 1.5 miles to the top of the ridge.
|SKIPPING O'ER THE SOUTH DOWNS|
Superb walk in wonderful countryside with stunning views and masses of historical and cultural interest. We'll head over the hills to Alfriston and then Berwick for lunch. After lunch, we'll watch a bit of the traditional Good Friday South Downs skipping contest (entry optional) and head on to Charleston for a tea stop with the Bloomsbury Set. Then we head through Firle for the final climb up to the mighty Firle Beacon.
|Sun 12 Apr 2015||10:30am|
Meet at the back (furtherest away from the leisure centre) of the Guildford Spectrum car park, Parkway, Guildford
Nearest Post Code: GU1 1UP
Starting with a riverside walk into Guildford passing Dapdune Wharf.
Lunch is at the White House pub.
After lunch we take in and views from Pewley Downs
Flat in the morning. Hilly in the afternoon
|Sun 19 Apr 2015||10:30am|
National Trust Hydon’s Ball (free parking). The car park is on the south side of Salt Lane where it meets Clock Barn Lane. Do not use the National Trust driving directions as these are incorrect.
|BLUEBELL WALK ALONG THE GREENSWAYS WAY|
Varied walk through wooded hills, bluebell banks, heath and farmland. The walk take us through Winkworth Arboretum along the Greensands Way to the picturesque village of Hascombe where we’ll stop for a picnic lunch on the village green overlooking the church pond. If time permits we can stop for refreshments (drinks only) at the White Horse before continuing along the Greensands Way with lovely views all along the ridge and finally the best view of all from the top of Hydon’s Ball before returning to the car park.
A few gentle hills, one steep climb
|Sun 26 Apr 2015||10:30am|
Meet at the car park on Flanchford Road, Reigate Heath
Nearest Post Code: RH2 8AB
|REIGATE HEATH TO LEIGH|
Reigate Heath An interesting walk (possibly featuring some Lama's ) over to Leigh ( pronounced Lie) for a pub lunch.
|Sun 10 May 2015||10:30am (prompt)|
Friday Street car park, Abinger Common, Dorking
Nearest Post Code: RH5 6JR
|WOTTON & ABINGER|
A lovely variable walk, passing between Dorking & Guildford & the villages of Wotton & Sutton Abinger.
PICNIC LUNCH with possible drink stop at the Volunteer.
circular walk. Some uphill stretches & likely to be muddy in parts.
|Sat 16 May 2015||10:30am (morning)|
Denbies Wine Estate , London Road, Dorking, Surrey
Nearest Post Code: RH5 6AA
Meet by the Assembly Point sign in the car park
|SAWW/SABRE JOINT FIGURE OF EIGHT|
Morning 10-30am - A leisurely stroll up onto the North Downs Way with great views of the vineyard, Box Hill and Dorking. We head for Ranmore Church then drop down along a woodland path back to Denbies.
Afternoon 1-30pm - Leaving Denbies we turn to the North through the vineyards fields of vines and soon to pass through the picturesque hamlet of West Humble ever onwards ascending up into the wooded hills. Then veering firstly to the west along a ridge path later descending steeply southwards through woodland into a pleasant green valley only to later rise up again through Ashcombe Woods with great views out to the North Downs. Finally descending back down to Denbies for some well earned refreshments.
CAFE LUNCH at Denbies Cafe
|4 miles am|
5 miles pm
Some hills, leisurely pace
|Sat 4 Jul 2015||10:00am|
Entrance of "The Ridges" off Portsmouth Road A3100.
Nearest Post Code: GU3 1LH
Ideal parking at Artingdon, Park and Ride 5 min walk away
Entrance of Hitherbury Close, off A3100
Nearest Post Code: GU2 4DR
Parking in car park at base of Hitherbury Close.
|VIEWS AROUND GUILDFORD|
Join us for some of the most beautiful views around Guildford. In the morning we shall be covering the western part in a circular route passing Loseley House and Watts Gallery.
At around 1.15pm there will be a buffet BBQ lunch including salad etc (£10) Ideally text please a few days before if eating so I know numbers to cater for. Food at Weybourne House, Hitherbury Close GU2 4DL.
There is an open bar here where you can purchase drinks. After this there will be a charity raffle with proceeds going to Cancer Research.
Afternoon walkers welcome to meet earlier for the BBQ.
During the afternoon we cover eastern Guildford and cross over the River Wey following some of the North Downs Way for a circular route with great views of Chilworth and Shalford.
|7 miles am|
5 miles pm
|Sat 25 Jul 2015||10:30am|
Godstone Village Green (next to the pond) Godstone, Surrey
A very scenic walk taking in ponds. We visit Church Town and the grave of Walker Miles 'founding father of Ramblers Groups'. Lunch is at the cosy Haycutters Inn. We will also discover a very old tree indeed.
+ Except registered assistance dogs
Please take a few moments to read these important notes.
- Non-members are welcome to attend up to three SAWW walks before joining The Ramblers.
- New walkers are strongly advised to start with a short, easy walk.
- All walkers participate at their own risk.
- There is no need to book in advance. Just turn up.
- If, exceptionally, a walk has to be cancelled or altered, this programme will be adjusted.
- New walks are regularly added to the programme, so if a walk is not shown for a particular Saturday or Sunday, please check back nearer the time.
- You should bring protective and warm clothing (in cold and wet weather) and wear appropriate footwear.
- As a rule of thumb, assume walking speed is 2 mph to estimate how long a walk will take.
- If you are planning to get to a walk by public transport, the following web sites may be of help: www.transportdirect.info or www.traveline.org.uk
- Please check carefully the start location and your route to it before setting out, and plan to arrive at least 10 minutes before the departure time stated in the programme.
- Please do not walk ahead of the walk leader and let them know if you plan leave the walk early.
- Please do not consume your own food on pub premises.
- Where a pub lunch is indicated, it cannot be guaranteed that the pub will be able to accommodate us if large numbers turn up for the walk. You might wish to bring a snack just in case.
- SAWW members may bring a single dog on most SAWW walks. However, we ask non-members not to bring dogs except for Recognised Assistance Dogs, e.g. guide dogs, hearing dogs, etc. If you would like to attend a SAWW walk with an assistance dog, we ask that you contact so that the walk leader can inform you of any likely difficulties. SAWW dog policy
- If you have a query about SAWW membership please contact . Questions about a specific walk should be addressed to .