We want your first walk with us to be memorable for the right reasons, so we have put together a short list of recommendations, which hopefully will be of assistance.
As a rule of thumb, assume walking speed is 2 mph to estimate how long a walk will take.
Please ensure you -
- Wear substantial footware - preferably walking boots.
- Carry a bottle of water - especially in hot weather.
- Bring waterproofs - never trust the English weather!
- If in doubt of your fitness, always start with a shorter walk.
- Bring your own lunch if the walk of your choice specifies "Picnic". However, if it specifies "Pub lunch" you can still bring sandwiches, but please do not eat them in the pub. Where a pub lunch is indicated, it cannot be guaranteed that the pub will be able to accommodate us if large numbers turn up for the walk. You might wish to bring a snack just in case.
- Do not walk ahead of the walk leader
- Let the walk leader know if you plan to leave a walk early.
- Bring a couple of plasters in case of blisters, especially with new walking boots.
- Always dress according to the weather. Multiple thinner layers of clothing are more flexible than one or two thick layers
A small rucksack is best for carrying items as it will free up your hands for climbing over stiles and enable better balance on undulating terrain.
You don't have to wear the latest designer walking wear. In fact many of the very expensive fleeces, walking boots etc are no better than their mid-priced rivals.
You can bring a recognised assistance dog (e.g., guide dog, hearing dog etc.) on any SAWW walk but you should inform the walk leader in advance so that any potential difficulties can be discussed. You may also bring a single non-assistance dog on a walk provided you obtain the explicit agreement of the walk leader in advance of the walk. You must keep your dog under control for the duration of the walk. We recommend you have insurance for your dog. Dog Policy
All walkers participate at their own risk.
Useful contacts -
Recommended stockists for walking boots, rucksacks and other outdoor wear are
- Millets (10% discount given on all purchases made on production of your Ramblers Association membership card)
- Cotswold (10% members discount)
- Blacks (may offer a discount too)